What is Six Month Smiles?
Six Month Smiles is a game-changing way to realign your teeth, taking only six months. The treatment bears strong cosmetic advantages such as their tooth-coloured wires and clear-finish brackets.
How do Six Month Smiles straighten my teeth?
The treatment uses low force in order to move teeth more comfortably. The treatment places an emphasis on the cosmetic appearance of your teeth rather than on the position of your bite.
Orthodontic treatment and adults
It was not so long ago that adults were resistant to the idea of undergoing orthodontic treatment as it meant a fairly significant change in appearance. Since 2011, 20% of people undergoing treatment is now an adult, due to more cosmetically discreet treatments such as Six Month Smiles.
Foods to avoid whilst wearing braces
As this is a fixed treatment, it is paramount to avoid foods that might jeopardise your treatment. Such foods include:
- Caramel/toffee/sticky confectionary.
- Certain dense breads (bagels).
Benefits of Six Month Smiles
- Renew your self-confidence.
- Improve the appearance of your smile.
- Have a healthier smile – having gaps in your smile can promote the growth of unhealthy bacteria (plaque and tartar) which if left untreated, can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- Chew and smile with confidence and ease.
- Misaligned teeth can cause speech impediments – Six Month Smiles can help to improve your speech.
How can I look after my braces?
As Six Month Smiles is a fixed treatment, you need to avoid eating the foods listed above. You should also thoroughly brush your teeth for at least 2 minutes twice a day and floss as often as you can to remove any food particles and to cover all of your tooth surfaces (failing to floss means you are neglecting to clean 30% of your tooth surfaces!). This will also prevent plaque and tartar from building up in the gaps of your teeth.
You should clean your teeth after eating and use a small toothbrush to cover the more difficult areas of your mouth. This will allow you to clean each bracket carefully – this sounds time-consuming but it will ensure you do not develop gum disease and render the treatment successful.
If you would like to arrange a consultation to talk about Six Month Smiles treatment, please do not hesitate to contact us.