Dentistry is a fascinating subject when you look at the facts and stats surrounding it…. Some of these might surprise you!
Did you know ….
- 20% of adults admit to not brushing their teeth once a day – this includes a third of men.
- 10% of people admit to regularly forgetting to brush.
- 42% of adults use only the bare minimum of tools in the upkeep of their dental hygiene – a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- A third of adults have never flossed their teeth.
- In the UK we spend £5.8 billion on dental treatment.
- Around 2% of the population have never visited a dentist.
Our teeth here in the UK…..
- 66% of us have visible plaque – this can only be removed by a dental hygienist.
- In the UK mouth caner is the 10th most common cancer in men and the 15th most common in women.
- 74% of adults have had a tooth extracted.
Our kids teeth…
- Sugar makes up 15% of the daily calorie intake of 4-10 year olds.
- In England, children and young people drink more sugary carbonated drinks than anywhere else in Europe.
- Around 40% of children do not visit the dentist annually.
- Tooth extractions are the biggest reason children are admitted to hospital for general anaesthetics in the UK.
Dental fears in the UK
- Nearly 50% of adults in the UK have a phobia of the dentist.
- 12% of this percentage suffer from extreme dental anxiety.
- Visits to the dentit ranks above a fear of heights, sharing 22% of the vote!
Some extra fun facts…
- It takes 17 muscles to smile and 43 to frown.
- 1 in 5 of us cannot remember the last time we changed our toothbrush.
- More than 50% of us would share our toothbrush with somebody – this breakdown as 24% with a partner, 18% with our child and 7% to a friend.
If you would like more information about dental hygiene or you would like to arrange a check-up with us here at Cornerhouse, please do not hesitate to contract us.