Last month we covered certain aspects of the cosmetic dentistry services offered by us here at Cornerhouse. Here, we look at the remainder of these treatments such as crowns and bridges.
Let’s remind ourselves of what ‘cosmetic dentistry’ actually is. This strand of dentistry refers to any dental treatment that improves aesthetic dislike such as the position, colour, shape, alignment or size of teeth. Many patients now undergo a ‘smile makeover’ which involves addressing your overall appearance and undergoing more than one treatment in order to achieve this.
What are crowns?
Crowns are caps designed to cover and strengthen damaged teeth and can improve their shape, appearance and alignment. They can be placed over dental implants in order to improve the tooth’s function and give it a more natural-looking finish. They are generally made of porcelain or ceramic as these materials are best for matching the colour of your natural teeth. Crowns can be made from gold, acrylic and other metal alloys, though these are usually used for the back teeth because they are stronger materials and less aesthetically pleasing than ceramic or porcelain.
Unlike dentures which are a removable option, crowns are fixed and bonded to teeth or over the top of implants, which mean they feel more natural.
When do you need a crown?
- If you need a large filling replaced and you do not have enough tooth present.
- To keep a weak tooth strong and from fracturing.
- To attach a bridge.
- To place over a dental implant.
- To obscure a misshapen tooth.
What are bridges?
Bridges are a viable option if you are missing a single or several missing teeth. Gaps in teeth have a huge impact on your remaining teeth as they cause them to move into the empty spaces; this is when you risk having a bad or unhealthy bite as well as gum disease or temporomandibular joint joint (TMJ) disorders.
There are 3 kinds of dental bridge which are:
- Traditional bridges. These are generally made from ceramics or porcelain.
- Cantilever bridges – These are used if there are neighbouring teeth on only one side of the missing tooth.
- Maryland bonded bridges – Made from plastic and supported by metal wings located either side of the bridge, which are then bonded to your natural teeth.
How can bridges help?
- If you’re missing one or more teeth.
- They can restore your smile and the shape of your face.
- Improve your bite.
- Stop your natural teeth from shifting out of a healthy position.