Good oral health starts with healthy gums and clean teeth. If you suffer from poor oral or dental hygiene, it can affect your self esteem and emotional welfare as well as your health. A heathy mouth is a significant factor central to our relationships, personalities, success and self-confidence.
If you’re worried about an aspect of your oral or dental health, we have answers. Cosmetic dentistry can change lives and give patients back their desire to smile. Go to our cosmetic dentistry page to view the treatments available here at Cornerhouse.
Here are some interesting facts and stats about dentistry around the world….
- A mere 31% of adults use mouthwash.
- Less than 25% of adults use dental floss on a regular basis.
- Brushing once a day increases your chances of developing tooth decay by 33%.
- A quarter of adults admitted they only visit the dentist when there is something amiss.
- 2% of the world’s population have never visited a dentist.
- Only half of the adults in the world visit the dentist the recommended every six months.
- 66% of adults have visible plaque – Your teeth work hard, breaking down may different types of food and some of these foods are not healthy. When you consume sugary foods and do not brush your teeth effectively enough, deposits of bacteria will form, known as plaque and tartar which can cause gingivitis which is the inflammation of the gums.
- 1 in 10 adults admit to forgetting to brush their teeth – This could be a lot more to do with laziness than forgetfulness… Many people rush through their brushing time and therefore do not thoroughly clean all their tooth surfaces. This will cause a build up of bacteria.
- 12% of us suffer from dental-related anxieties.
- Fear of the dentist ranks more highly than the fear of heights.
- 1 in 10 adults would omit oral and dental care products from their shopping baskets in order to save money – this is another important one to draw attention to, as brushing your teeth should be considered the bare minimum when considering your oral and dental hygiene. You should aim to floss at least once a day. Without flossing, you are failing to clean 40% of your tooth surfaces. Flossing allows you to remove bacteria and food particles that linger on your gumline.
If you would like more information about how to maintain good oral hygiene, we can arrange a consultation for you here at Cornerhouse.