What is gum disease? Gum disease is when swelling, soreness or infection occurs in your mouth. This occurs after gingivitis which is when your gums become inflamed and bleed when you brush. This happens as a result of poor dental health.
How to avoid gum disease:
- Visit your dentist every 6 months – 1 year. This will ensure that preventative measures are taken for any problems you cannot spot yourself.
- Brush twice a day for 2 minutes each time. If you have problems with your brushing technique or are unsure how to do this effectively, your dentist here at Cornerhouse can show you how.
- Floss – Brushing alone only covers 70% of your tooth surfaces. Flossing will help remove food particles from in between your teeth and lessen your chances of plaque and tartar coating your tooth enamel.
- Don’t smoke or drink alcohol excessively.
- Use fluoride mouthwash. This will cleanse your mouth of food particles and give your mouth a deeper clean.
How is gum disease treated?
Treating gum disease will haunt the progression of bone loss. your dentist ill need to remove plaque and bacteria and deep clean your teeth. For this to be successful the patient must maintain a healthy dental hygiene routine post-treatment. An interdental toothbrush can be used to clean the challenging areas of the mouth.
Cornerhouse offer dental treatment packages for you and your family. During your first appointment, we will do a full assessment of your dental health. Once this has been carried out, we will create a bespoke treatment plan with you to suit your own personal needs. We place a lot of importance on teaching patients how to improve their oral hygiene routine, so that preventative measures can be taken.
If you have kids, remember that during the Easter holidays they may be eating more chocolate and sweet things than usual, so a visit to the hygienist might be a good idea. Try to incorporate some healthier foods for their teeth to counteract the unhealthy snacks. These can include cheese, leafty greens and foods containing fibre.
if you would like to arrange a consultation with us here at Cornerhouse, please do not hesitate to contact us.